Tuesday, February 07, 2006

 

Home Sick

Shortly after 1 a.m. this morning my 8-year-old jumped out of bed and called for us, tripping her way through the dark to the bathroom. Poor thing didn't know it yet, but she was in the first few minutes of a 12-hour stomach bug. At least I hope it only lasts 12 hours...

Anyway, once I'd found a substitute and made lesson plans --no easy task-- I've found it to be (and I feel horrible saying this), well, pleasant. I sent the 2-year-old off to preschool in the probably futile attempt to minimize infectious contact, and right now my daughter and I are relaxing on the couch watching Spy Kids. I know, I know -- I urged The Secret Garden, but in our house, as my daughter reminded me, the sick one gets to choose.

I've managed to do a little laundry and, yes, a bit of blogging, but overall, we're having some nice, snuggly time together. It's amazing how rare that is these days. It seems as if we're always running from one place to the next, or she's out playing on the block or distracting her sister while we try to get chores done or dinner on the table.

She shouldn't have to get sick in order for us to have this down time together. We may need to schedule in some "mental health days" this spring and do our darndest to leave them... unscheduled!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?