Thursday, May 11, 2006

 

And here's to you...

My husband's AP students have taken the dreaded exam and can now rest on their laurels a bit. In celebration, he's going to show them a couple of classic films, and last night he previewed The Graduate.

Both of us had last seen the movie while we were in graduate school, and we were surprised at how different our perceptions of it are now than when we were at such a different stage in our lives. It's interesting how much more I identify with the adults in the movie. When we last saw it, they seemed so ludicrous, and the Dustin Hoffman character's ennui seemed so understandable. Last night I found myself wanting to tell him to get out of the damn pool and DO something. What's more, Anne Bancroft looked GOOD! I think I may be older than she was at the time, and I kept finding myself thinking how cute her skirt was and if she'd just change the highlights in her hair a bit...

Anyways, it makes me want to go back and watch other movies that we enjoyed in college and early in our marriage. Some of my favorites, like Harold and Maude I fear, may not stand the test of time. Others, I'm hoping, like A Private Function, might even get better with age.

In the end, Jeff decided to shelve The Graduate and is showing Citizen Cane instead. Hmmm... That's a class I'd like to take!

Comments:
Anne Bancroft was 36 in 1967, when The Graduate came out. She was six years older than Dustin Hoffman.
 
Oh, my goodness, she was only 36???

Angela Lansbury was ten years younger than Frank Sinatra when she played his mother in The Manchurian Candidate, too.

One thing that's happened in the last 30 years is that we don't think middle aged women look like the mothers (or potential mothers-in-law) of middle-aged men anymore. Mostly. I hope.
 
That's funny about Angela Lansbury (I'm going to add Manchurian Candidate to my list of movies to see again, too).

Yet another observation: Most plain, paunchy comedians starring in sit-coms have spectacularly beautiful on-screen wives. What's with that? I'm all for "Beauty is more than skin-deep," but there's something about that formula that bothers me. Like, since she's not as funny as he is, she'd better be a looker. Or something like that!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?